THE RALLY


I braved the grave scorching sun
squeezing through the cocktails of folks and lads
my mission was simple and pure
To violently plead for an explanation
From the loud demagogue at the podium
demanding why five years down the road
He’s returned to bask in the same unfilled promises as last

Silently praying for answers
My thirst to mete judgement was unquenchable-insatiable
Looking at his lifeless eyes I planned to question
about the wax that had successfully sealed his ears from  hearing the dying hungry’s cries during his tenure
I failed to decipher his eyes from his heart and mind

Immune to our wails yesterday, today he sang
promises of self sacrifice
He was the promised son he said…the long awaited Messiah
Better schools, medication in hospitals, better pay even flawless 'kolansi' roads

As I hungered for signs of shame from him, his obvious oblivious ՙabsence՚ hit me
his body was there, but ՙhe՚ was in another realm-a glorious paradise
A realm whose realization this cumbersome rally would determine
like a sledge hammer, his fate depended on our
gullibility

In this realm, wads of cash awaited him
Hectares of vast land, palatial mansions and gold
Fat voluptuous women sighed his name, begging him to
screw them
Herds of cattle and sheep, tractors trampling on virgin
land on his command
In that realm the poor riff-raff who made the electorate had no place

I felt his fan of lies swell up and grow
Like a callous monster feeding off our fear, desperation and hope
His deceit cast a large shadow over the multitudes that had
Like blind sheep gathered ceremoniously
The shadow like the wings of a large ignorance, disease and death-carrying bird
blinded us

Then, as if in a drunken stupor
I was too weak to turn away from the tempting gaze
the seductive feel of secret sin
Facing the ground I bowed in shame
as I held out my hand to take his bribe
Defiling and selling my innocence
      George W Kiwanuka
     @Georgewkiwanuka
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY-DREAM by George Kiwanuka

Message in a Bottle....by George W Kiwanuka

LOAD OF MIXED SIGNALS!